Friday, May 16, 2014

Netflix...Has it found an efficient way to sort movies?

After today's in-class discussion I decided to check out my own Netflix account and see what the top categories actually were. Just scrolling through the first ten categories, six of them were based on what I watched.  They do this in three ways, "Top Picks for ...," "Because you watched...," and "More like...".  I didn't understand why they don't just have more basic categories like "Romance" and "Horror."  Personally, when I am picking out something to watch, I do it based on the "type" of movie/show I am in the mood for.  I think Netflix should focus on putting more of those categories as a priority.

 When looking further into each of these categories I found that sometimes the shows/movies they selected seemed to fit, but other times they did not.  One of the ones that surprised me the most were the shows it picked for "More like American Horror Story."  To give a little bit of background, American Horror Story is a very dark, mini horror series.  The top suggestions for me based on watching that were "Family Guy," "Futurama," "American Dad," and "Bob's Burgers.".  These are all animated shows that do not seem to parallel to American Horror Story...AT ALL.  I was shocked by this, why would Netflix suggest these shows to me based on a horror series, that by the way, is NOT animated.

 I decided to look up what other people thought or had to say about Netflix's rating system.  I found this article that described ways you can help Netflix choose better movies/shows for you.  Check it out! I think I'm going to try some of these and see if I can get any better suggestions, things that actually interest me.  This will help the "Top Pics for..." category, but it still does not explain why Netflix was so off on the suggestions based on American Horror Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment