Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Cyber-Bullying...What Can Be Done?

I’m just going to start out by saying that I have never personally been bullied online or known of any friends that have.  I have no personal attachments to the subject and therefore my reaction to online bullying would probably be very different if I did.  I hope I do not offend anyone in what I write. 

Online bullying has become such a recent phenomena; you hear about it in the news all the time.  Society has been trying to take effective measures in order to limit the Cyber-Bullying; it has gone as far as some schools taking legal measures. I think that schools and parents trying to take such drastic measures towards online bullying is stupid.  I agree with Boyd, I don’t think that adults really understand enough details about the subject.  Strict punishment is not the solution; that, in my personal opinion, will just escalate matters.  Bullies often times are vulnerable individuals and conducting harsh matters against them, especially quickly, can lead them to act in irrational ways.  This would then make matters even worse for all parties involved.  These types of punishments just add to all of the drama. 


I think that online bullying should be taken care of through the individuals being bullied.  It is their responsibility to deal with the matter, seek out help if that is what they want.  Some teens do not want their parents to get involved because that just makes them embarrassed or makes them feel like their privacy is being invaded.  Schools should make students aware that there are people they can talk to about bullying situations, however, it is up to the student to decide if they want to talk to someone. Online bullying is a serious, delicate matter and if it is not dealt with appropriately could have detrimental consequences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment