Sunday, May 18, 2014

Cooking Online...Will it cause cookbooks to go extinct?

As Netflix is taking over DVDs are recipe websites/apps. taking over for buying a cookbook?  Today, the internet is used for so many things and as I have mentioned on my blog before, baking as one of them.  People go online to look for new recipes to try out and can even read reviews about the recipe first.  All of this is usually free! Sometimes people have to pay a few dollars for a cooking app, but that's nothing compared to buying a printed cookbook.  What is the point in even buying a cookbook these days?  Many people feel that it is just a waste of money, most things you can find in a cookbook, you can find online anyways.  Some people like having a printed copy and in a nicely bound book and some people like it because of the nostalgic memories... etc.  But are these reasons enough to continue wasting money on printing all these cookbooks?

 I think that eventually cookbooks will go practically extinct, there will still be some printed, but it will be rare.  People will have to go to thrift or antique shops to buy cookbooks, but at that point there won't be any new ones.  To look up new recipes people will have to go online, which seems to be the trend already.  Is this okay?  Personally, I don't have a problem with this.  Yes, I own cookbooks, but I never really use them anymore.  I tend to go online, find a recipe, print it out, and try it.  If I really like the recipe I'll put it in a small binder that I keep in my kitchen cabinet.  It's a compilation of all my favorite recipes and it only costed me about $3 (the price of the binder!)  I think this is a great solution for people that like recipes printed out.  I really do like cookbooks, but I just am starting to not see the use for them anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment