Tuesday, April 22, 2014

More Does Not Mean Better...A Baker's View on Online Recipes

For Easter we went to my aunt's house to eat delicious food, celebrate the holiday, and see the little kids running around all excited about what the Easter Bunny brought them.  There were so many delicious desserts; afterword’s I felt so lethargic, like was it Thanksgiving all over again?  It was funny though because my cousin warned us NOT to eat the cupcakes she brought.  Her daughter was so excited because she helped make them and was making everyone try them, telling her mom that people said they were good. I did not try one, apparently they were god awful. 

My cousin said that she found a new recipe on Pinterest and was like "why not try it out?"  Well as I think everyone who bakes can agree, not every recipe we find online is necessarily a good one.  Sites, like Pinterest, make it so easy for us to find new recipes for pretty much anything.  They show a picture of what it should look like and it always looks AMAZING.  What I have come to learn, more does not mean better.  Online offers us so many more recipes than what a cookbook would, but you have to weed through to know which ones are reliable.
  
I love getting recipes online.  I love the variety and accessibility, oh and the fact that the recipes are FREE!  However, you do need to pick carefully when choosing a recipe and it can often take up a lot of your time looking through recipes.  I know I have spent hours just looking at different cookie recipes online.  The aspect I love about recipes online is that you can read reviews from other people who have tried out the recipe for themselves.  This is not something that is in your everyday cookbook.  People not only tell you what recipes work and don't, but sometimes people will tell you great suggestions to alter the recipe and make it even better!  Overall, I think that online has made baking that much greater, but be careful when choosing what to bake! 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, Kimberly, about the advantage of online recipes. Reviews are very helpful. In Japan, where I came from, has a popular recipe website called Cookpad.com. You can search within the website a bunch of recipes by typing the ingredient you already have and/or your purpose to cook (birthday party, Christmas, etc). It can save a lot of your time, too!

    ReplyDelete