Sunday, April 13, 2014

Google...Why not be addicted?

I'm just going to come right out and say it, I love Google. I remember when I was in middle school and if I didn't know what a word meant my mom would tell me to "look it up in the dictionary," but what a pain in the ass that was. Now whenever I need to know anything from definitions to directions I just pull out my phone and "google it."  Yes, Google has become so popular that it is often referred to as a verb.  

Does this mean that google has too much power over our lives?  I think for some of us, yes.  We can no longer imagine a time before Google, it is too scary to imagine that everything would no longer be literally at our fingertips.  The generations after us do not even know of such a time because they are growing up in a world where they can Google everything. We have to remember, however, that not everybody has a computer, tablet, or smartphone and thus does not use Google or Google affiliated products.  Google does not have power over everyones lives, just the majority.  I personally do not care that Google has as much power as it does because it makes my life much easier and even more enjoyable.  

In my free time I like to go on YouTube and watch videos, movie trailers, or even listen to a popular song.  Speaking for myself, I am addicted to Google.  I use Google Chrome as my web browser, I speak with my friends abroad through Google+, I work on projects with classmates using Google Docs, communicate with people using gmail, watch videos over YouTube, and I use Google as my search engine.  It has made every aspect of my life easier.  There is never a time when I am on my laptop and don't have Google open in a tab, you never know when a question might pop in your head. Seeing people around me, I know that I am not alone.  Just sitting in the library at work I look and see that the librarian next to me is looking up information using Google.  It's everywhere, it's accessible, why not be addicted? 

Some critics would greatly disagree and say that being addicted to Google is a major problem. Their main reasons being that google endangers our privacy and independence, however, I, for one, just do not think that matters.  Yes, Google takes away some of our privacy, for example it knows what we search for.  We let Google take away our privacy though, if we were so worried about it we wouldn't be using Google in the first place, and some people don't because they are afraid of it.  Many ways that Google takes away our privacy, however, it is just trying to advance technology and information. Also, it helps narrow our searches even more by remembering what you've searched, who you've talked to, and where you've traveled in the past.  Everything Google allows us to do makes our busy lives, just a little bit easier.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post Kimberly. We'll be talking about the privacy issue in class tomorrow. Google knows not only what we search for, but where we live, what we shop for and probably also our income, employer, relationship status, reading habits and favorite bands. That is why advertisers love them so much.

    ReplyDelete